How I Prepare a Pre-Made Call or Trail of Cthulhu RPG Adventure (Scenario)

Call of Cthulhu RPG is different from other roleplaying games in so many ways, but especially when we talk about the frame of its adventures. It not just to get a monster from a creature's list and put some problem on the character's way. It is about mystery, investigation, subtle revelation, cosmic horror, and horrifying confrontation. Some Keepers are used to buy pre-made adventures (that we usually call them Scenarios), while others prefer to create their ideas. In this post, I'll talk about how I prepare a session when I buy a pre-made scenario for Call of Cthulhu.

Feel free to comment on how you usually prepare your gaming sessions so I can get some tips from you.

Step One: Read the Scenario
I start reading the scenario from the beginning, and I usually make my notes while I do that first reading. I typically do this because I don't always have time to read the adventure twice before the game starts. When I have time, I read at least twice and update my notes.

Step Two: Make Notes
As I read, I make some notes to guide myself during the game. First, I read the whole scene, then on a sheet of letter (A4) paper, I write the name of the scene and the names of remarkable characters, including some characteristics about it next to the name (profession, personality trait, or appearance, etc.). Then I write down all the clues as a dotted list and include any extra information next to each record.

After reading the entire scene and writing down all the main important points, I write a paragraph that I will read or paraphrase to the players, including the initial description of the scene at the moment they enter it. I try to include all this information on a single paper sheet for each scene, as it is easier to consult and organize during the game.



Step Three: Modeling Ideas
A pre-made adventure does not always offer an enjoyable gaming experience, as each game group has its peculiarities (and some adventures are poorly written). While I do the first or second reading, I change the details that I don't like or that I think can best suit the game proposal for my group. Then I change characters, locations, clues, events, and any other details I want, especially if I want to create a campaign from this adventure or if I am going to connect it with other adventures.

After doing all this I keep all the sheets containing the summary and altered information of all the scenes together with the original book (or printed PDF) of the adventure to have a permanent record of it, to use whenever I Keeper it again with new groups.

This is my adventure preparation routine for Call of Cthulhu RPG. What's yours?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How I Create My Adventures (Scenarios) for Call and Trail of Cthulhu RPG's

How to Start a Lovecraftian Adventure in Call or Trail of Cthulhu

How I kept my sanity with Cthulhu Mythos and Allan Poe during the quarantine