Cthulhu Sounds: What Apps and Music Do I Use in my Call or Trail of Cthulhu RPG Sessions

There are a few things in an RPG session that can help the group immerse themselves in the game universe: handouts (affect vision and touch), roleplaying (affect emotions), and, of course, ambient sounds (affect hearing).

Some pre-made adventures (scenarios) provide handouts or tips on how to help immersion (some Keepers like to create their own handouts). Roleplay and interaction are subjective and vary from group to group; it is something that is within each person.

Music and sounds, on the other hand, is a difficult topic to discuss, as many do not use it, perhaps because they do not know cool apps or artists, or just because they don't like it. I did a lot of research to find music and apps that met my needs. When we ask for advice on what to play in the background in our Call of Cthulhu sessions, many say, "there are lots of cool artists and bands from the 1920s." Well, I love them. But I don't want a chase scene with Ghouls in underground catacombs at the sound of Louis Armstrong, Ella Fitzgerald, or Glenn Miller (but I imagine that would be awesome too — I’ll try to do that soon). I want tension. Terror.

I love music and would like to introduce you to some apps and artists that I use on my CoC games.

Sound Apps
My smartphone uses the Android system, so I don't know if those same apps are available on other systems, sorry about that. Ah, I'm not getting a fee to talk about the apps and artists below. After researching a lot, I think they are incredible and deserve to be highlighted on the excellent work they do.

Atmosphere

This application has sounds for various environments. It has a tab for each category (sounds of beach, forest, farm, city and etc.) and has a variety of sounds that can be combined, even from different tabs. You can activate the sound of rain, storm, rain inside the tent, rain hitting the window, birds, wolves, cars in transit, people talking and etc., in the combination you prefer. In the most recent update, it is possible to combine these sounds, set the volume of each one, and then bookmark it with the name you prefer.

I create sounds for a busy street, a deserted street at night, rainy night, rain in the forest with wolves and etc., favorite and at game time, just activate the sound that is happening in the scene.

Ambience

This application is also a sound mixer, it is similar to Atmosphere and has the same options. It is an alternative to the Atmosphere.

Artists and Bands
Some of these artists and bands are available in streaming apps like Spotify, Deezer, Amazon Music and etc. Others are only available in MP3 and other formats for download in places like https://bandcamp.com/, while others are only on youtube. So, in order not to include dozens of links to different sites in this post, I will include only one YouTube video for the artist or band. If you type her or his name on Google, you'll find sources where you can listen to or buy their work.

Cryo Chamber
This is one of the best ambient sound bands I've ever heard. And they created several ambient sounds inspired by the Great Old Ones and Outer Gods. You can listen to the complete works on their own YouTube channel or buy MP3, LPs, CDs or search for them in streaming apps.



Graham Plowman - Composer
This is another great artist and composer. It is worth checking. In the descriptions of your youtube videos, there are links on how to buy his work.



Iron Cthulhu Apocalypse
Another artist and composer who is inspired by Lovecraft to create ambient sounds.



Matt Elliott
I love this guy's work. Unlike everything I've presented so far, this is a solo work with a voice (he sings accompanied by instruments). But their songs are melancholy and sad, and I usually use them while the players or I narrate the final and tragic scenes of an adventure or the fate of their characters.



Movies Soundtrack
This is a very long list. Just listen to the sounds of your favorite movies and imagine the game scenes that these sounds can fit into. So, there are several online stores and apps where you can listen to these songs while playing. Below I, the example of the theme song for Shutter Island:



And you, what sounds do you usually play in your games?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How I Create My Adventures (Scenarios) for Call and Trail of Cthulhu RPG's

How I kept my sanity with Cthulhu Mythos and Allan Poe during the quarantine

How to Start a Lovecraftian Adventure in Call or Trail of Cthulhu